Blog: Endgame Is Near If You Continue Neglecting Conversational AI Driven UX From Your Product Strategy
Doctor Strange is capable of looking into the future to see zillion different outcomes and when I first saw Benedict Cumberbatch summoning his car (politely) to open the sunroof in the latest MG Hector commercial it was a perfect analog to show us the future of not just a connected car but also what the future holds for conversational AI driven user experience (UX). It didn’t feel like he was talking to a software or a robot but a friend instead. Is conversational AI going to be a new norm for businesses around the world or it’s just hype? Let’s find out.
Before moving further, let us first understand what Conversational AI is? A simple example that many of us have come across while browsing on the internet would be the little chat box popping up when you visit a web page asking “whether you need any assistance”; well that is a result of Conversational AI. These bots respond to your questions or redirect you to the right place. Conversational AI is an amazing support technology for the customer service departments to respond timely and enhance the user experience for the customers. This is just one example where Conversational AI is extensively used.
According to a report by Gartner- By 2020, conversational artificial intelligence (AI) will support user experience (UX) for more than 50% of large, consumer-centric enterprises. Here is a guide for the Application leaders stating the impact and recommendations for the future.
Let us see how Artificial Intelligence will add new dimensions to the user experience being offered in the coming years by working along with humans (designers):
- Chatbots: Instead of humans sitting at the other end to respond, organizations will implement chatbots to offer information or solve their queries. This will ensure that there is “somebody” to always hear you out and the customer will not have to wait too long to get a response.
- AI Driven Design: AI would help in creating a strong Design system that builds a design language of a brand/product. It will facilitate in optimizing the modules of the design systems to deliver improved outcomes by adding an “Intelligent layer” to the system. This implementation of AI in the workflow processes of the organization means that the websites would require less maintenance and attention by the designers.
- Virtual Assistants (speakers): Google home, Amazon Echo, Siri are some example of Virtual assistants widely used by people nowadays. These smart assistants are likely to execute everyday tasks like setting up a reminder, ordering supplies for your house, playing music, obtaining the latest news or weather forecast; the list is never-ending.
- Content Creator: Several opening sentences of the story we read online is written via Artificial intelligence based on the algorithms given.
For example: “Tuesday was a great day for W. Roberts, as the junior pitcher threw a perfect game to carry Virginia to a 2–0 victory over George Washington at Davenport Field.” Various big companies like the Associated Press, Yahoo, and Fox have been using them for quite some time for their articles.
- Customization of Content: It is mainly driven by defined rules, but AI has the capability to improve it significantly in the future. Organizations would be able to provide improved customized solutions to their clients and in a shorter time span.
Example: Travel companies can use the data like the booked flights and hotels, browsing the history, interest areas to predict what might interest an individual. It can be a destination, a hobby class, an adventure resort and so on. A personalized plan can be made and sent via the marketing mediums for better conversions.
- Prescriptive Analytics: To make your customer stay with you, delivering better than the last time is important. AI comes as a rescue here by determining the answer to the question “what next”.
For example — The way consumers search online has changed in recent years. First, it was typing then came the voice assistants. AI will do more than just answering your question. If you ask for the favorite Chinese restaurant nearby, the results would show the famous ones around you and then the next question would be something like “do you wish to book a table, for how many people, or would you prefer an indoor or outdoor setting, etc.”
Conversation AI technologies will form a synergy with IoT, analytics and image recognition to create an interface that has the capability to deliver meaningful insight to the users and will simultaneously make the designers job easy. The changing lifestyle and people shifting towards smart homes, smart vehicles, smart cities; the scope for the conversational interface is just limitless. The user experience would be certainly enriched in the coming years with the power of Artificial intelligence and if you haven’t plan for the Conversation AI in your product or app strategy yet then the TIME is now, or the Endgame is not too far.